Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Thalassa

We hear about Restaurant Week and every year we resolve to take advantage of the deals... but life just gets in the way. However, the following diner's tale might be just the motivation you need to get out and eat!

I'm always proud of myself when I can get my act together enough to make it to an NYC restaurant to get in on a "restaurant week" deal. A recent lunch-date found me at Thalassa on Franklin Street in time to take advantage of the $24.07 lunch pre-fixe menu. I don't know what came over me, but I found myself eating slice after slice of their olive bread--best I've ever had. I picked the beet-manouri cheese app. which turned out to be a beautifully composed salad with delicate manouri cheese. A crisp crab-cake on greens was my entree. I figured ordering the sheep's milk yogurt parfait for dessert would be plain-jane. Was I wrong. I scraped the plate on this one: honey, berry sauce, fresh raspberries and a big, dollop of rich, rich yogurt. Good news: the restaurant says they'll be running the restaurant-lunch pricing all year round, so now I no longer have to get my act together.

No comments: